Just an update! I will be out of commission this week due to a sinus/nose surgery, but here are some of the projects I want to tackle soon.
A few months back, neighbors of ours were moving and getting rid of their couches, so I may have taken them... I am not at all about having used upholstered furniture around my house, but I decided to leave them out of the home for a few months and Had them professionally cleaned. Our large family room is dying to be filled with family gathering worthy furniture and to lose the couch-wannabe futon. My plan with these couches, since I am not fond of the color, is to do a drop cloth slip cover, which I will feature in a tutorial. This will probably be my next project, since these bad boys will be taking residence indoors come this evening!
Along with these couches, I took a matching, horribly stained ottoman (not pictured) that I plan to gut and redo entirely.
Remember these ugly green guys? Yeah, they're still hanging out in my garage. Below is the color I think I'm going to upholster them in.
Lastly, my dining room table was passed down to us with only 5 chairs when it needs 6. I plan to turn one chair into a two person bench by detaching the legs and sides, constructing a new bench with them.
platform bed project idea
So, back when we were more broke than we currently are (hard to imagine that that is even possible, HAH), we were desperate to find a cheap bed frame that required no box spring, so we resorted to buying this cheapo platform bed. It lasted us a good while before we had to add an additional 10+ screws to keep the thing sturdy and it withstood moving locations three times.
And here she stands at her final destination in our spare bedroom begging for some love. I believe I have devised a plan to make her look less pathetic.
My plan involves using a jig saw and cutting off the legs flush with the sides. Once I have cut the legs off, I will wrap the frame in batting and finally in fabric, which I will staple on the inside of the frame. I will add new wooden legs and construct a tufted headboard from a large pallet I have laying around. I do not believe this will be an expensive project because of the minimal amount of fabric I will need. I have an old, thin foam mattress topper I will use as my batting. I almost threw this away a few months ago and as I was carrying it outside I thought to myself "what am I doing?! I pay a pretty penny for batting like this! I'm only getting rid of it because it's old, not defective!" Thank you brain for not letting me down on that one! The existing legs are about the same height as these legs I believe I will go with from Lowes.
That's my plan! Now for the execution!
Last weekend I picked up two pairs of petite, adorable shutters from a local lady who sells miscellaneous house items (same lady I got the hideous green chairs from). I've been dying to get my hands on a set of shutters to use as a non traditional table runner. These are slightly smaller than I originally invisioned, but they turned out oh-so-adorable after a quick coat of aqua chalk paint! Now, I need to figure out what I am doing with the second pair :)
Dining Room Table Makeover
I used General Finishes gel stain for my table top, which is the most amazing product. There is no prep except cleaning the surface thoroughly. I love that with a light coat you still see the wood finish yet get solid coverage. It is super durable and I have used it other places in my home such as my bathroom vanity base. Luckily for you Columbus peeps, there is a General Finishes supplier off of Bethel Road!
For my table base and chairs I used Americana Decor chalk paint. While I do not particularly love this product, it isn't terrible to work with. I had to put on more coats than I desired and it did not cover deep wood stains very well. It took about 3-4 coats and there still isn't solid coverage (I'm okay with a more rustic, imperfect look). I purchased this from Home Depot, but Walmart and Joanns also carry it.
My table and chairs are finally finished and here is the big reveal! I could not be more happy with how they turned out. It has been quite the process and wouldn't have taken me so long if I weren't so busy with homework (5 months till my bachelor degree is complete, woohoo!).
Let's get started on supples:
This table finally looks like it belongs in my home!
Browse By Category