Hello everyone! Today I'm sharing with you how I built an air conditioner unit cover for under $20! My intentions are to do a post soon on inexpensive ways to add curb appeal to your home and I will be linking this post as a reference. First off, let's just all agree that a/c units are hideous, but totally necessary. So let's get started by viewing the video below!
After you've watched the video, this build should make complete sense to you, but just in case that's not the case, here's how I completed it and a little before shot
1. Be sure to have the proper tools and safety gear
2. Measure your A/C unit and add a few additional inches to both measurements to allow air to circulate and room for human error. If your unit is like mine and sitting on a cement pad, use this pad size as your width/depth measurement +2" as you'll want the legs to touch the ground, not the pad.
3. Gather materials- I purchased mine from Menards. My cover required me to purchase two 8' furring strips and one bundle of lath.
4. Cut your 4 posts out of wood furring strips.
5. Measure and cut the wood lath strips into your width/depth measurements. If your width and depth measurements are different, keep separate piles. If it is an option based on your unit size, I would create all four sides equal to make less work.
6. Lay out two posts and start attaching lath at desired widths apart. I initially started with 3", but then added more lath between those because I wanted the unit more "hidden". In the end, I ended up with about a 1/2" gap between lath. Continue this process with the remaining two posts.
7. Turn both pieces you just built on their sides and start attaching lath matching up the lath from the sides. Repeat this process on both sides to attach both pieces.
8. Paint unit with exterior paint/stain. I chose my ride or die, Behr Polar Bear White
9. Place unit cover overtop and level ground under legs
I hope you have enjoyed this post! Until next time!
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:28-29
Browse By Category